Language Visible; Unraveling the Mystery of the Alphabet from A to Z
Strangely, I think this is one of the most concise history of the world - it really shows how the David Sacks. Letters are tangible language.
- Delta Girls: A Novel (Random House Readers Circle)?
- Letter Perfect: The Marvelous History of Our Alphabet From A to Z.
- The People: The Rise and Fall of the Working Class, 1910–2010.
- Language Visible by David Sacks | LibraryThing?
- Language Visible: Unraveling the Mystery of the Alphabet from A to Z;
- Hostage To Her Heart (Cross Passage Series Book 1)!
Joining together in endless combinations to actually show speech, letters convey our messages and tell our stories. While we encounter these tiny shapes hundreds of times a day, we take for granted the long, fascinating history behind one of the most fundamental of human inventions -- the alphabet.
The heart of the book is the 26 fact-filled "biographies" of letters A through Z, each one identifying the letter's particular significance for modern readers, tracing its development from ancient forms, and discussing its noteworthy role in literature and other media. We learn, for example, why the letter X has a sinister and sexual aura, how B came to signify second best, why the word "mother" in many languages starts with M, and what is the story of O.
Although Sacks writes for nonspecialists, he distills an impressive range of scholarship into his examination of the alphabet's complex cultural history…Delightfully entertaining and engrossing. Skip to main content.
- ISBN 13: 9780767911726.
- Language Visible: Unraveling the Mystery of the Alphabet from A to Z | Quill and Quire.
- Circuit Cellar (February 2003)!
- The Product Managers Toolkit: Methodologies, Processes and Tasks in High-Tech Product Management?
- Marx, Marginalism and Modern Sociology: From Adam Smith to Max Weber.
Sundial Books. Your full service, locally owned independent book store on Chincoteague Island. Shopping cart There are no products in your shopping cart.
Book Search Search. Advanced Search. By David Sacks.
- Collecting food and drink books!
- Ion Exchange: Science and Technology;
- Dead and Gone: A Burke Novel.
- Creativity and Innovation in Business and Beyond: Social Science Perspectives and Policy Implications (Routledge Studies in Innovation, Organization and Technology).
- Managing Windows 2000 Network Services. Network Services.
- Language Visible;
Description Letters are tangible language. He wrote a part series for the "Ottawa Citizen" on the letters of the alphabet that was received enthusiastically by readers and which he has expanded and developed into Language Visible.